Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Modifying table-saw tilt-screw.

Bought an old craftsman saw for $75.  My initial interest was because it has its own vacuum with overhead and cabinet suction.   But also I know see this is a very solid saw that will be worth future updating.  Had a lot of rust but cleaned up nicely.  

 

One of my first improvements:  I didn't like the tilt screw, basically a ball running on stamped sheet metal...  a lot of friction.  


So I updated it with bearing on a pivot.  This turned out quite well mainly cause it didn't take a lot of effort or time to make out of stuff I had laying around.  Used a 6002 bearing, and just happened to have some 4130 tube that it slip fit in (saved some lathe boring time!).  Put 180 deg apart holes, chamfered, in the tube.  Had some square tube, drilled and tapped for 3/8 bolts that were 60 degree point turned on the lathe.  Took the "ball" off, brazed a new sleeve on that I turned to 15mm for the 6002 bearing.  Added a groove for a clip.  Welded some "wings" on the square tube that will used to attach to table saw cabinet. 



0 comments: